I am posting here a link to a brilliant bit of radio that brings to life the impact of the Syrian civil war by relating it to the UK.
The opening sentence gives you a chilling flavour of what is to come.
“Say you are one of the two and a half million people who live in the huge conurbation of Greater Manchester, and then you leave; all of you.”
The Syrian cause is close to our hearts here at The Media Coach. We have more than one client working in this now dangerous and desperate country. People we have trained in the last year, daily put their own lives at risks to provide a desperately needed lifeline to others.
But this is a blog about bringing numbers to life. Particularly large numbers. Getting an audience to really understand huge numbers of people can be done visually – by an arial shot of a vast refugee camp, for example, or most memorably in the past few weeks by the sea of ceramic red poppies around the Tower of London to represent the dead solders from the First World War. But to do it on radio, giving your audience something they can relate to is a surefire method and this is great example. Much later in this two and a half minute clip Michael Blastland of BBC Radio 4s More or Less programme, turns his attention to the millions of children in Syria who are no longer getting an education. He asks us to imagine this happening in the UK.
“Go to every school in the land and throw out every other pupil, send them home, wherever home may be. About five million of them, to correspond with the fifty percent of children in Syria who have been forced out of formal education.”
The ability to make numbers mean something is a real skill and one that is often overlooked.
Thanks to Michael Blastland for bringing these particular numbers to life.
- Greggs On A Roll - January 14, 2020
- Crisis Comms Management – Aussie PM gets it all horribly wrong - January 7, 2020
- Naming – A Misunderstood Art - December 11, 2019
- Prince Andrew rolls the dice - November 18, 2019
- Persuasion and a little neuropsychology - November 12, 2019
- Tough Media Interviews – How To Prepare - November 2, 2019
- Using pictures to make your ideas memorable - October 28, 2019
- Boris at his best - October 3, 2019
- 7 tips for appearing more authoritative as a woman - October 2, 2019
- Party conference speeches and the power of the pause - September 23, 2019