I am posting here a link to a brilliant bit of radio that brings to life the impact of the Syrian civil war by relating it to the UK.
The opening sentence gives you a chilling flavour of what is to come.
“Say you are one of the two and a half million people who live in the huge conurbation of Greater Manchester, and then you leave; all of you.”
The Syrian cause is close to our hearts here at The Media Coach. We have more than one client working in this now dangerous and desperate country. People we have trained in the last year, daily put their own lives at risks to provide a desperately needed lifeline to others.
But this is a blog about bringing numbers to life. Particularly large numbers. Getting an audience to really understand huge numbers of people can be done visually – by an arial shot of a vast refugee camp, for example, or most memorably in the past few weeks by the sea of ceramic red poppies around the Tower of London to represent the dead solders from the First World War. But to do it on radio, giving your audience something they can relate to is a surefire method and this is great example. Much later in this two and a half minute clip Michael Blastland of BBC Radio 4s More or Less programme, turns his attention to the millions of children in Syria who are no longer getting an education. He asks us to imagine this happening in the UK.
“Go to every school in the land and throw out every other pupil, send them home, wherever home may be. About five million of them, to correspond with the fifty percent of children in Syria who have been forced out of formal education.”
The ability to make numbers mean something is a real skill and one that is often overlooked.
Thanks to Michael Blastland for bringing these particular numbers to life.
- Fake Outrage – Simples! - March 4, 2019
- Olivia Colman Snivels in Front of 30m TV Audience - February 26, 2019
- Getting Out in Front of the Story: Bezos Case Study - February 10, 2019
- How to Dress for TV: Our Top Tips - February 5, 2019
- Want to Control a Media Interview? 8 Naive Mistakes - January 28, 2019
- Managing Emotion in a Media Interview - January 14, 2019
- Plan Your Communications: Start with the End in Mind - January 8, 2019
- Controlling the Quote in Media Interviews - December 10, 2018
- The Media Coach Formula – Path to Success - December 3, 2018
- News Management – the Brexit Deal Case Study - November 26, 2018